[Cython] [cython-users] Re: Cython 0.23.5 released

Nathaniel Smith njs at vorpus.org
Thu Mar 31 11:42:39 EDT 2016

On Mar 31, 2016 6:40 AM, "Stefan Behnel" <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> Jason Madden schrieb am 31.03.2016 um 15:13:
> > On Thursday, 31 March 2016 00:50:57 UTC-5, Matthew Brett wrote:

> >> like
> >>
> >> I did that earlier today, using an Appveyor build system :
> >>
> >> https://github.com/MacPython/cython-wheels/blob/master/appveyor.yml
> >> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/matthew-brett/cython-wheels
> >> http://win-wheels.scikit-image.org/
> >>
> >> Do they work for you?
> >
> > They work for building gevent on Appveyor. The cython binary wheels cut
> > gevent's total build time by more than half (they save almost 10
minutes).

> That makes me wonder if we shouldn't just provide pure Python wheels of
> Cython, i.e. without compiling any binary extensions in them. For one-time
> installs, it would only be marginally slower than with a compiled Cython,
> but it would work on all platforms with all Python versions.
>
> I guess the drawback would be that it would be more hassle for people who
> really want to install Cython permanently for themselves...
>
> Is there a way to tag a wheel somehow as "special"? I doubt that
> Nick&friends thought about the special Cython installation use case when
> designing the format...

The general case is "library with optional native acceleration". I think
one thing is that if there's both a generic and a specific wheel then pip
will prefer the specific one? So an arch-specific wheel will get higher
priority than a py2.py3-none-any wheel. Of course this only works if both
are available -- it's more of a fallback thing.

-n