[Cython] Type Inference: Inter Procedural Analysis

usama hameed usama54321 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 13:31:07 EST 2017

Hi all,

I recently suggested implementing Inter-Procedural Analysis to infer
function types and made the following Github issue
<https://github.com/cython/cython/issues/1893>, and I was advised to
communicate on this channel.

I went through the code base, and have implemented a rudimentary type
inference system with inter procedural analysis of function types and
arguments, and have handled recursive cases. However, the code base needs
to be cleaned up a lot and is quite buggy right now. Furthermore, I am
pretty sure a lot of edge cases need to be handled, i.e. closures etc.

The reason I am sending out this email is to get some suggestions. Right
now, the code I have written is pretty hacky, since the current code base
of the project does not accommodate much flexibility to perform inter
procedural analysis. I found an enhancement suggestion
<https://github.com/cython/cython/wiki/enhancements-typeinference> on the
GitHub project, and was wondering whether this should be done first in
order to make a more flexible type inference system before trying to
properly implement inter procedural analysis into the project.

I just started on this as part of a university course project, but I want
to continue working on this. I am not really familiar with the project's
development ecosystem, and it would be really helpful if I'm given some
guidance.

Thanks a lot