[Cython] #cython on freenode

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 18:54:42 EDT 2018

Hi all,

The Freenode IRC network is currently undergoing a spam attack that is
affecting the #cython channel there.

People definitely do use #cython to ask questions. I and some others try
and help them out. It would be a shame to have that community, such as it
is, get destroyed by the spam attack.

Freenode has a way for a project to take control of the IRC channel
associated with their name by mailing projects at freenode.net and working
with an admin to prove who you say you are. For matplotlib they asked Tom
Caswell to push a branch with a randomly chosen name to github. If someone
associated with the project is willing to do something like that, I would
be very happy to volunteer to admin the channel and set the channel
settings to mitigate the spam attack. I'm currently doing a similar process
to get admin powers for #ipython and #matplotlib and already have admin
powers in #scipy and #numpy.

Thanks for your help,

-Nathan