[Cython] Cython 0.29 – or 29.0 ?

Julian Rüth julian.rueth at fsfe.org
Fri Aug 17 08:42:50 EDT 2018

* Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> [2018-08-17 13:43:54 +0200]:

> Yury V. Zaytsev schrieb am 17.08.2018 um 10:59:
> > On Fri, 17 Aug 2018, James C. McPherson wrote:
> >> 1.0 runs the risk of hitting "never install a 1.0 release" habits.
> >
> > How about 2.9.0 ;-) ?
>
> Sold! :)
>
> Proposal: we'll release a 2.9.0 next, which gives a warning that users
> should explicitly enable "language_level=2" in their setup.py when
> compiling Py2 code, and then release 3.0 as the next feature release, which
> requires this option for Py2 code and defaults to compiling with Py3 syntax
> and semantics.
+1

Also, I would not be too strict about the major version number in
semver. Sometimes bugfixes are breaking changes for the people who
worked around that bug with some tricks. I think bumping the major
version is really about removing a public documented interface or
changes that we know are going to break a lot of existing code. A nice
thing about semver is that it makes many people try harder to not do
that because they do not want to bump the major version number and
rather provide means to support legacy code...

Anyway, the proposed 2.9.0 to 3.0.0 jump certainly sounds like the major
version number should change there.

julian