[Cython] Cython 0.29 – or 29.0 ?

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 12:19:21 EDT 2018

I like the jump to 3.0 to to change the language level. It still might be
safer to *require* this flag for a period though, and 3.0 would make it
optional (with the opposite default than it has now). (I'm honestly on the
fence with this one, as it may be a major pain to make this required...)

Letting the next version be 2.9 feels like it risks typos and confusion
(e.g. people who are used to the current numbering will call it 0.29).
Jumping to 29.0 makes it feel like we'll be updating the major version
often (or we'll be at an arbitrary 29.x for a long time).

As for semantic versioning, I'm with Julian that it's more about
communicating intent. Patch releases should be safe no-brainers, minor
versions should be safe by default, but make sure you think about them, and
major changes will likely require code changes. Not unlike how Python has
handled numbers (though hopefully we'll release with more frequency).

We may want to reserve a major version bump for issues like
https://github.com/cython/cython/issues/1382 which are simply not done for
fear of breaking users code, before 3.0.

So, I might release the next release by default (0.29.6? Or is it too
major. I guess going 0.30 would be bad.), get a short list of breaking
changes we're actually going to change by the next major release (such as
requiring a language level, double-underscore mangling, ??? called 1.x or
2.x) and go from there.

I like a plan to get out of the 0.x naming scheme, but it's hard to argue
it must be done *now* vs. in a release or two.

- Robert