[Cython] Size of output

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jan 31 18:17:29 EST 2020

On 1/02/20 3:17 am, John Skaller2 wrote:
> When I ran Cython on a two line Python function I got this from wc:
>
>      4276   13798  161338 oldtest.c

That seems a bit excessive.

> A lot of the emitted code appeared to be run time and compile
> time support code which wasn’t actually used.

Not sure what's going on there. Pyrex made efforts to only
include support code that was actually used, but Cython
has changed a lot since then and I haven't been following
its development closely. Either it's slipped on that, or
the support code has become more bloated.

Can you remove any of it and still have it compile? If
so, filing a bug report might be useful.

> Is there an option to use an #include for the standard stuff?

There are upsides and downsides to that as well. The way
things are, the generated file is self-contained, and can
be shipped without worrying about it becoming disconnected
from a compatible version of the include file. This is
important when details of the support code can change
without notice between Cython releases.

--
Greg