[Datetime-SIG] Calendar vs timespan calculations...

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sun Aug 2 00:35:59 CEST 2015

On 08/01/2015 02:01 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:

>> I just also think that part our "gold standard" is refusing the temptation
>> to guess what the result should have been when handed a non-strict dt that
>> is either ambiguous or non-existent.
>
> Ethan, you responded to a joke, but snipped the substantive argument.

My apologies.

I don't have much input about the actual algorithms to use, and, quite frankly, still find DST irritating and confusing.  It wasn't until a couple years ago that somebody taught me "fall back, spring
forward" so I could at least keep straight which way the clock was going to shift.

So really my involvement here is as a user of these things -- and as a user I would be greatly frustrated with being able to hand an ambiguous/non-existent date/time to a strict dt/tzinfo and not get
an error because sooner or later the guess would be wrong and I'd be wondering what happened.

--
~Ethan~