[Datetime-SIG] Calendar vs timespan calculations...

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 17:36:21 CEST 2015

[Guido]
> There's a simpler reason for ignoring leap seconds in datetime: Python's
> wall clock is mappable to POSIX timestamps, which also ignore leap seconds
> (the reason being Tim's long explanation :-).

Ya, but I wanted to give some reasons that make actual sense ;-)

Because when time wonks get agitated about this, it's just like
American politics:  both sides dig in and endlessly repeat the same
talking points with ever-increasing volume.

"Because POSIX said so" was smashed by the ever-affable Daniel
Bernstein a long time ago:

    http://cr.yp.to/proto/utctai.html
    The main obstacle is POSIX. POSIX is a ``standard'' designed by a
    vendor consortium several years ago to eliminate progress and
    protect the installed base. The behavior of the broken localtime()
    libraries was documented and turned into a POSIX requirement.

    Fortunately, the POSIX rules are so outrageously dumb---for example,
    they require that 2100 be a leap year, contradicting the Gregorian
    calendar---that no self-respecting engineer would obey them.

See?  You've been paid off by vendors to eliminate progress, to
protect their ill-gotten gains.  datetime is just another tool of
capitalist pigs to ensure they increase their profits at the expense
of the people.

Just thought I'd put that out there first ;-)

boldly-speaking-truth-to-power-since-2015-ly y'rs  - tmi