[Datetime-SIG] Calendar vs timespan calculations...

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 3 17:32:03 CEST 2015

> I'm happy with a strict tzinfo at least having the ability to deal with leap seconds -- then those that care can make it work.

I'm a bit confused about what the strict tzinfo object has to do with
leap seconds.

Leap seconds are more like leap years than DST transitions. (Except
that we don't know when they will occur in the future). An extra
second (:60) is added, rather than repeating one. So it is never
ambiguous what is meant.

And all time zones handle them the same, yes?

So consideration for leap seconds belongs in with the code that
handles converting the Gregorian calendar representation to/from a
timespan.

The other consideration is that time parsing code can't barf on a 60th
second, just like it can't barf on feb 29th.

All this code is in datetime, isn't it?

Please tell me there are no leap seconds in the middle of DST transitions!

What am I missing here?

By the way, I've generally been of the opinion that leap seconds
didn't matter to me, or most people. But apparently there have been 26
leap seconds since 1972. That's actually quite a bit, even for people
that aren't doing atomic physics....

-Chris