[Datetime-SIG] Fwd: Calendar vs timespan calculations...

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Aug 5 18:26:02 CEST 2015

I think you are mixing up a few things here, or I'm just
misunderstanding you, which is just as possible (date/time is
full of wonders, so no surprise there :-))

If you have a local date/time value which references a day and an time
on that day, you can convert this into UTC without caring about
leap seconds at all. The reason is that the conversion is done
to, again, a date and a time on that day.

The problems with leap seconds only matter when you care
about time differences and then only if you need the elapsed
time calculated in seconds when spanning multiple days.

Most business applications only care about time differences
calculated in number of days, or seconds between two
times on a single day.

In finance, you often even ignore complete days for the
sake of simplicity (years having 360 days, all months having
30 days, etc. - there's a whole bunch of different systems
to choose from).

The few times where you really want to know the number of
elapsed SI seconds between two points in time, you will most
likely not use date/time objects for the calculation anyway,
but instead revert to floats or integers counting nano seconds.

For those cases, I think it's perfectly fine to have a
package on PyPI which deals with the conversion from the
point time to the value you are dealing with in your
calculations and back again, so complicating the stdlib for
this doesn't appear to me to be a good idea.

BTW: In mxDateTime I have long resisted adding TZ code.
The only TZ support currently in the system is for doing the
one time conversion to UTC and back to local time again for
display to the user when requested.

IMHO, times should always be stored in "UTC", since that's the only
half sane time standard that's understood by enough people to get
decent interoperable work done (+/- 36 seconds that is, depending
on who you talk to ;-)).

Regarding terms: I started with "GMT" in mxDateTime, then
added "UTC" as alias, and may well add "TAI" at some point as
another alias. For most people, these are all the same, anyway :-)
Purists will loudly disagree, of course, but I have the Zen
of Python to my rescue: practicality beats purity.

Cheers,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 05 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/