[Datetime-SIG] PEP 495 (Local Time Disambiguation) is ready for pronouncement

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 06:10:13 CEST 2015

[Guido]
> How did we end up bending over this far backwards for leap seconds?

Eh - I don't see that we are.  The `first` flag is applicable to any
source of folds and gaps, provided the folds aren't worse than 2-to-1.
Leap seconds are just one more case of that.

If you want to build in gap-and-fold-aware arithmetic, then it seems
only one kind can be supported.  If it's left to tzinfo implementers,
then it's up to them.

> To me, we're talking about a mapping to POSIX timestamps, which use a
> straightforward algorithm to map compute the date and time -- in particular,
> divmod(ts, 86400) will give the day number and the second within that day.
> The day gets converted to a date using standard calendar math (assuming they
> eventually fix the standard so that 2100 is not considered a leap year :-)
> and the time gets converted to HH:MM:SS using even simpler calculations.
> There's no room for leap seconds there.

Nobody is proposing to change any of that.  A POSIX timestamp maps to
the same UTC time in any case (including in cases where a POSIX
timestamp is ambiguous, and including cases that produce a UTC time
that never existed (hasn't happened yet, but will when a leap second
gets removed someday)).

None of that _precludes_ implementing an arithmetic that returns
correct real-life deltas (between real-life UTC times) as SI-second
durations.  That can be done in most (but not all) cases using POSIX
timestamps by consulting a table of leap second adjustments.  It
_could_ be done in all cases (not just most) using first-aware
datetimes, because - unlike bare POSIX timestamps - the `first` flag
gives datetimes a calendar notation that disambiguates the ambiguous
POSIX timestamps.  Do note that POSIX supports a calendar notation for
leap seconds too (allowing tm_sec to be 60).

_Given_ a `first`-like flag, nothing beyond that is really required
from Python (although it would be more useful if a way were given to
map a second value of "60" to/from first=False when applicable).

BTW, POSIX fixed the "2100 is not a leap year" problem in 2001 - but
ancient Internet rants never die ;-)

> It's important to me that if two different Python implementations, running
> on two different computers, convert a POSIX timestamp to a date+time they
> get the same result.

That's important to everyone.  It would remain true even if someone
did write an implementation of leap-second-aware arithmetic.

> This is *much* more important to me than the idea that if two computers
> simultaneously call time.time() they get the same value -- there is simply
> no such thing as "simultaneously" (imagine one of the computers is on
> a rocket traveling to the moon).

One factoid I learned recently:  the best atomic clocks now are so
bloody sensitive that they run at detectably different rates if their
altitude changes by an inch (due to gravitational time dilation).

Luckily, nobody yet has demanded Python support relativistic datetime
conversions ;-)

> If you care about leap seconds you should use a different time source, and
> you shouldn't be using either the time module or the datetime module. They
> are inextricably linked.

Eh - it's a shallow problem.  Just tedious.  Adding `first` is a
crucial part of the battle for _all_ kinds of gap-and-fold-aware
arithmetic.  And the code for all kinds of the latter is a tedious but
conceptually trivial chore.  Accounting for clocks jumping around is
no harder "theoretically" when the jump is caused by a leap second
than when it's caused by daylight time starting or ending.

> So there's my answer to #1. You may consider this a Pronouncement if you
> wish. It should not come as any surprise.

You don't want leap-aware arithmetic in the core.  Neither do I.

The remaining question is whether you want to make it impossible for
someone else to add it.

> And while I'm at it, I don't think PEP 500 is the answer. If you really want
> the number of real-world seconds between two datetime values you can write
> your own difftime() function that consults a leap seconds database.

That's a start.  Related questions include "the nuclear reactor has to
be vented exactly 3600 SI seconds from now - what will the local clock
say then?".

I agree such apps "should be" using TAI.  But the one actual scientist
who has posted here most often says they don't get a choice about the
time system used by the data they need to analyze.  I say they should
convert all the data they're given to TAI.  They don't want to hear
that ;-)

> As for how to request timeline arithmetic vs. the other kind ("human"? I
> forget where our glossary is), that could be done by special-casing in the
> datetime class using some property (yet to be determined) of the tzinfo
> subclass or instance; or it could be done using different timedelta-ish
> classes. PEP 500 seems overly general just so it can also support the leap
> second case.

I've mentioned this before:  I think it's insane to try to implement
"human arithmetic" by overloading arithmetic operators.  See the
iCalendar spec for the least people expect now.  Things like "the
first Tuesday after the first Monday in November every 4 years" (US
presidential election dates) are just the start.  Trying to spell all
that with combinations of +-*/% would be a write-only nightmare.
dateutil implements the full iCalendar RRULE spec, and sanely uses
functions with lots of keyword arguments.  Nobody is _really_ going to
improve on that.

So I don't see PEP 500 as aiming at human arithmetic at all (although
others may).  I do see it as a way to:

1. Keep _all_  gap-and-fold timeline arithmetics out of the core.  I
don''t really want, e.g., DST-aware timeline arithmetic in the core
either.

2. Let tzinfo implementers decide which kinds of gaps and folds they care about.

> ("So how do I write a real-time stock trading system", you may ask. Good
> question. Ask the stock exchanges. Their solution was not to trade near the
> leap second. Given that they probably have to deal with a mix of languages
> including at least Java, Cobol, Lisp, Python, and Smalltalk, I'm doubtful
> that they'll do better during the lifetime of Python 3. Famous last words
> perhaps.)

Most shut down for at least an hour around the last leap second,
because a leap second gets inserted just as the hour (on clocks
running at a multiple-of-hour offset from UTC) is about to change.
Experience taught them last time around that software confusions
quickly propagate across fields :-(

But that's a different problem.  Python isn't the _source_ of anyone's
notion of time.  CPython inherits all it can know about "what time is
it now?" from the OS and platform C libraries.