[Datetime-SIG] PEP 495 (Local Time Disambiguation) is ready for pronouncement

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 17 19:12:48 CEST 2015

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 8:18 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> But nobody would be able to remember that mnemonic -- the far majority of
> people simply don't know whether to move the clock forward or back when DST
> begins or ends

Somehow I still remember the "spring forward : fall back" mnemonic I
learned it grad school -- but I do'nt think that helps us here....

> - I'm disappointed that there are now some APIs that explicitly treat a
> > naive datetime as local (using the system timezone).

indeed -- but as long as it's isolated to this one corner of the API, I
guess we're OK.

BTW, numpy's datetime assumes the locale timezone when parsing ISO 8601
strings without an offset -- and it's a disaster.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov