[Datetime-SIG] PEP 495 (Local Time Disambiguation) is ready for pronouncement

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Aug 17 19:20:57 CEST 2015

On 08/17/2015 09:58 AM, Chris Barker wrote:

> I know I really don't like the idea of delegating everything to the
>  tzinfo object, it simply doesn't seem to be the right place for things
>  other than, timezone info / operations.

The way I look at it is the final object is a merging of a datetime and tzinfo.  The actual logic of how to add/subtract, etc., is built in to the datetime itself and the switch is built into the
tzinfo -- so classic tzinfo (aka no switch present) gets the current behavior, while the new "strict" tzinfo (with switch present) would instigate the other behavior.

Off the cuff I would say have the datetime object check for certain methods in the tzinfo (such as add_datetime, add_timedelta, etc), and if present use them, otherwise use the normal methods.

If performance becomes an issue we could have a different base class for strict datetimes, and the act of adding a tzinfo can change the class of the resulting datetime object to that strict subclass.

--
~Ethan~