[Datetime-SIG] PEP 495 (Local Time Disambiguation) is ready for pronouncement

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Mon Aug 17 19:33:45 CEST 2015

On 08/17/2015 10:58 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org
>     And while I'm at it, I don't think PEP 500 is the answer.
>

> I know I really don't like the idea of delegating everything to the
> tzinfo object, it simply doesn't seem to be the right place for things
> other than, timezone info / operations.

Datetime arithmetic with a timezone-aware datetime _is_ a "timezone
operation". Doing it correctly requires knowledge of timezone transitions.

I think PEP 500 is an elegant and flexible solution, and the
alternatives discussed so far (e.g. hardcoding isinstance checks) are
much less flexible for users of the datetime module, without
compensating benefit. I haven't seen anyone yet present a specific
downside to the PEP 500 approach.

But that's all off-topic for this thread, which is about PEP 495, not
PEP 500.

Carl