[Datetime-SIG] PEP-0500 (Alternative datetime arithmetic) Was: PEP 495 ... is ready ...

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 02:16:00 CEST 2015

I propose to end the argument about what "time zone" means by
insisting it means whatever I think it means, and that's the end of it
;-)

Specifically, a time zone is a function mapping UTC calendar notation
to another (possibly identical) calendar notation.

For some purposes, the destination's idea of "calendar notation"
includes strings like "America/Chicago" or "CDT"/"CST", and in others
it may only include a notion of a fixed UTC offset (like "-05:00").

All are valid "time zones", and, e.g., someone insisting that their
idea of calendar notation must magically include a string mnemonically
distinguishing daylight from standard time is on ground just as solid
as anyone else.

Telling them they "shouldn't" insist on that won't work.  Showing them
it's easily obtained by other means also won't work.

Unless, of course, their idea of "time zone" is "how civil time
actually works" ;-)