[Datetime-SIG] PEP-0500 (Alternative datetime arithmetic) Was: PEP 495 ... is ready ...

ISAAC J SCHWABACHER ischwabacher at wisc.edu
Thu Aug 20 22:38:53 CEST 2015

The problem with abbreviations like "CET" isn't that they don't represent time zones; the problem is that they're not unique.  CST is probably Central Standard Time... unless it's China Standard Time or Cuba Standard Time.  There are plenty of other examples.  We can't stop people from using these, and we shouldn't refuse to support them out of spite, but if we present to users one obvious way to do it that forces us to guess in the face of this ambiguity, I'd argue that that's bad design.

ijs

Top-posted from Microsoft Outlook Web App; may its designers be consigned for eternity to that circle of hell in which their dog food is consumed.