[Datetime-SIG] PEP-431/495

Stuart Bishop stuart at stuartbishop.net
Sun Aug 23 07:46:37 CEST 2015

On 23 August 2015 at 04:46, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  What we're left with
>> appears to be just one other bit, spelled via the presence or absence
>> of a new magic attribute on a tzinfo instance, or via inheritance or
>> non-inheritance from a new marker class.  That new bit is used to
>> spell "classic or timeline arithmetic?" (which datetime internals -
>> not tzinfos - will be required to implement).
>

> if it would be implemented by datetime, or a datetime subclass, wouldn't it
> make sense for that attribute to be on the datetime instance, rather than a
> tzinfo instance?
>
> Anyway, I have an interest in seeing that done -- and Alexander is right, it
> would be better to make whatever changes we need to datetime now in a way
> that will last.
>
> so is it time to add an attribute to specify "timeline" arithmetic somewhere
> now?
>
> BTW, as I read it, PEP 431's biggest contribution was to bring access to a
> timezone database into the stdlib -- is that idea dead?

Putting a database updated a dozen times per year, often at short
notice, into stdlib is a bad idea. Putting the necessary tzinfo
implementations to read the existing timezone database on your
platform is a great idea, as is distributing the Olson timezone
database via pip for less well endowed platforms. And a 'local' tzinfo
instance is pretty much a requirement. I ty to move as much as pytz
and Lennart's tzlocal into stdlib as possible. Exactly how that
happens depends on the outcome of this PEP-495. Ideally, pytz will
cease to be required at all because Python stdlib will be able to give
you unambiguous, correct datetime arithmetic ('timeline') out of the
box using the timezone database installed on your system. I robot can
push the zoneinfo database to pypi, or I will until the robot is
setup. On Python 3.whatever, the pytz library will just wrap stdlib to
provide backwards compatibility.

Failing the ideal situation, pytz will remain for users needing
timeline arithmetic but will still offload what it can to stdlib and
no longer require use of the localize() and normalize() methods (ie.
it will work as you expect, not as it does today).

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/