[Datetime-SIG] PEP-431/495

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 20:20:58 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

>> I think the other linkage between the two is that pytz's "every tzinfo
>> instance is fixed-offset" is the most natural way to solve the PEP-495
>> problem in the absence of PEP 495 and ensure that all datetime instances
>> are unambiguous and valid.
>

> Again (as can be seen from the endless bickering between Alexander and
> myself about whether this is a bug or not) your view is colored by pytz's
> position.

I really regret that it came out as "bickering," because I am on Guido's
side when it comes to a full DST aware tzinfo implementation.  The fixed
offset tzinfo implementation came as a compromise between those who did not
want any concrete tzinfo implementations in the stdlib and those who wanted
a full-featured LocalZone implementation.

I still want to see  LocalZone in stdlib, but to me it is only a worthwhile
addition if it follows the original Guido/Tim design.  If you want the
aware instances that do timeline arithmetics - you already have two ways to
do it: convert to UTC or convert to the "current" fixed offset timezone.