[Datetime-SIG] pytz vs. PEP 495 Was: PEP-431/495

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Aug 24 23:58:56 CEST 2015

On 08/24/2015 02:45 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
>
>> It is my contention that library code (such as datetime) should raise exceptions
>>  when something exceptional happens, and the program code can then handle it
>>  appropriately for that program:

>     # server program
>     try:
>          get_a_datetime_from_somewhere(ltdf=None)
>     except AmbiguousTimeError, NonExistentTimeError:
>          log(weird_time_error)
>          use_default()
>

> I've been criticized on this list for using python-resembling pseudo-code, so I will
> assume that what you show is an actual Python code.  In this case,
> `get_a_datetime_from_somewhere` and `use_default` lines have no visible effect on the
>  program and I have no guess for what they are supposed to do internally.

You're right, I was sloppy.  How's this:

     try:
          some_date = get_a_datetime_from_somewhere(ltdf=None)
     except AmbiguousTimeError, NonExistentTimeError as e:
          log(weird_time_error, e)
          some_date = use_default(e.datetime)

and the datetime attribute of e would be the attempted datetime with the flag set to None (so it is either still ambiguous, or still doesn't exist), and then use_default() would do something with it.

> I do show in the PEP how a function that raises an error on ambiguous/missing
>  time can be written.

Writing functions to work around short-comings is not how I like to spend my time (see my contention above about library code).

If we do go the route of not raising exceptions we should just add your function to the datetime module and save people from mis-copying it.

--
~Ethan~