[Datetime-SIG] Conversion vs arithmetic (was Re: Is EDT a timezone? Was: PEP-0500)

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 01:50:18 CEST 2015

[ijs]

[Tim]
>>> Whew!  You may well be only the second person to grasp this - thanks :-)

[ijs]
>> Wait... was this ever in contention?

[Carl Meyer]
> I don't think so. I'm not sure what Tim is referring to here; I haven't
> seen any messages in this thread that indicated a lack of understanding
> on this point.

I've lost track of how often I've explained it.  That suggests it's
not being understood.  Start with the message at the top of _this_
(renamed) thread, which was posted today, so it shouldn't fade
entirely from memory for at least another 37 minutes ;-)

> Conversion was the larger issue, and to do that correctly the
> arithmetic needed to be fixed.

Isaac (quoted at the top of _this_ message) is the first to say "ya, I
get it" in public.  Someone else said it once in private, like a month
ago ;-)