[Datetime-SIG] Conversion vs arithmetic (was Re: Is EDT a timezone? Was: PEP-0500)

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 02:23:09 CEST 2015

[Guido]
> Sounds to me like Tim and Stuart disagree on the definition of conversion,
> though.

I don't think so.  The pytz docs contain a variant of the word
"conversion" 6 times, each one followed by examples without any
arithmetic but with calls to .astimezone().  Contrarily, the examples
showing arithmetic are not preceded by text calling them any variant
of "conversions".

So, in all, it's more likely I had no real idea what "Conversion was
the larger issue, and to do that correctly the arithmetic needed to be
fixed" meant to begin with ;-)