[Datetime-SIG] PEP-495 - Strict Invalid Time Checking

Stuart Bishop stuart at stuartbishop.net
Tue Aug 25 21:37:37 CEST 2015

On 26 August 2015 at 01:42, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking of DBAs, how would she feel if a system zoneinfo upgrade made her
> database unreadable?   A zoneinfo upgrade can easily create new gaps and
> folds even in the past if someone at IANA decides that they found a better
> source of historical information.

Speaking as a DBA, I know that my timestamps with timezones are
converted and stored as UTC time on entry so this doesn't happen. You
use timestamp with timezone to store an absolute time. It does,
however, mean that revisions to the IANA database may change the
result when it is rendered back in its original timezone. If you don't
want that, you actually want a timestamp without timezone (naive), and
maybe a physical location (because the local government may declare
that this year they will central time instead of mountain time).

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/