[Datetime-SIG] PEP-495 - Strict Invalid Time Checking

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Tue Aug 25 23:04:10 CEST 2015

On 08/25/2015 03:01 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Carl Meyer <carl at oddbird.net
> <mailto:carl at oddbird.net>> wrote:
>
>     If you accept this, and still
>     think that the best API datetime can provide is "localize twice and
>     figure it out yourself", I'm not interested in arguing the point.
>

> Trust me, I considered many other options, but I have 4000+ lines of
> datetime unit tests that I cannot break.  If you can come up with a
> patch that does what you want and passes python -m test test_datetime -
> I would certainly like to see it.

I don't understand why it seems like you continue to interpret all
requests for an opt-in way to raise an exception as requests to change
the default, which nobody is contemplating.

I can't imagine how raising an exception on invalid times only if a
non-default sentinel value is given for a flag that is _new in PEP 495_
could possibly break 4000 lines of existing datetime tests.

Carl