[Datetime-SIG] how does PEP-495 help improve dateutil, pytz timezone packages?

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 03:55:27 CEST 2015

> On Aug 25, 2015, at 9:20 PM, Akira Li <4kir4.1i at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The code [4] can't be fixed without data from the tz database.

.. or a working tm_zone/tm_gmtoff extension. Ok, I'll give you that even thought I thought we had some good enough work-around at least for the offset part.

What does this all have to do with PEP 495?  If you are just saying that  it does not solve all problems related to dealing with time zones in Python - I will be first to agree with you.  It solves only one problem: it enables tzinfo providers to achieve lossless conversion between time zones with varying utcoffset.  That's all.

If you are saying that PEP 495 is not needed if all your time zones have fixed utcoffset - again no disagreement here.

If you say that lossless conversion between varying utcoffset timezones should not be supported at all - I think you will find yourself in a small minority.