[Datetime-SIG] PEP-431/495

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 03:37:18 CEST 2015

[Akira Li <4kir4.1i at gmail.com>]
> Even if datetime's or replace()'s *first* parameter would be 3-state
> None|True|False; the internal flag can still be 2-state True|False.
>
> first=None could cause a tzinfo callback (it implies that tzinfo must
> not be None in this case) that sets *first* to True|False appropriately.

Well, you have your ideas on this, and others have theirs.  This isn't
going to make progress until the people who want it get together and
agree among themselves first on a single, unified, comprehensive
proposal.  So please take this to the following thread instead (but
after reading all of it first ;-) ):

     PEP-495 - Strict Invalid Time Checking

> There is a $5 wifi button that can be used to track baby data.
> Python helps at various stages:
> https://medium.com/@edwardbenson/how-i-hacked-amazon-s-5-wifi-button-to-track-baby-data-794214b0bdd8
>
> Babies can poop at night and during DST transitions too. Sleep-deprived
> parents should be able to see the tracking data in local time in
> addition to UTC (doing timezone conversions is computer's job).

Nobody has said some apps don't need reliable conversions (to the
contrary, that's the primary _point_ of PEP 495).  Nobody has said
some apps don't need timeline arithmetic - although I have said it's
poor practice to even _try_ to do timeline arithmetic if an app isn't
working in UTC or with naive datetimes.  If an app is following best
practice (UTC or naive datetimes), then timeline arithmetic is what
they _always_ get (it's the same thing as classic arithmetic in those
contexts).

> On the internet, people may cooperate while being in different time
> zones i.e., even "business" software might have to work during DST
> transitions. MMORPGs are probably also not limited to a single time
> zone.

Ditto.

> Non-pytz timezones make mistake on the order of an hour regularly.
> It is *three orders of magnitude larger* than a second. It is a different
> class of errors. The code that can't handle ~1s errors over short period
>  of time should use time.monotonic() anyway.

Apps that care about leap seconds _should_ be using TAI.  Apps that
want timeline arithmetic _should_ be using UTC.  Unfortunately, people
shoot themselves in the feet all the time.  Python can't stop that.
But it doesn't have to _cater_ to poor practices either.

> dateutil doesn't work during DST transitions but PEP 495 might allow to
> fix it.

I don't know what "doesn't work" means, precisely.  There are certain
behaviors that do and don't work as you might hope.  For example, even
the stupidest possible tzinfo implementation that follows the docs
today has no problem converting from UTC to local time across DST
transitions - the default .fromutc() was designed to ensure that
conversion in _that_ direction mimics the local clock in all cases
(including skipping a local hour at DST start, and repeating a local
hour at DST end - where "hour" really means "whole number of
minutes").  What's impossible now (outside of pytz) is converting
ambiguous local times _back_ to UTC in all cases.  PEP 495 will repair
that - that's its primary point.  There's no "might" about it.  But,
for that to be of use to dateutil users, dateutil will need to change
its tzinfo implementation to meet 495's new tzinfo requirements.

> As I understand, outside of DST transitions if dates are unique valid
> local times; dateutil uses "same time tomorrow":
>
>   (d_with_dateutil_tzinfo + DAY ==
>    d.tzinfo.localize(d.replace(tzinfo=None) + DAY, is_dst=None))
>
> while pytz uses "+24 hours":
>
>    dt_add(d_with_dateutil_tzinfo, DAY) == d + DAY
>
> where dt_add() is defined below. The equility works but (d + DAY) may
> have a wrong tzinfo object if the arithmetic crosses DST boundaries (but
> it has correct timestamp/utc time anyway).  d.tzinfo.normalize(d + DAY)
> should be used to get the correct tzinfo e.g. for displaying the result.
>
> Both types of operations should be supported.

If you're saying that classic and timeline arithmetic both have
legitimate uses, sure.  Nobody has said otherwise.  If you're trying
to say more than just that, sorry, I missed the point.

As to "supported", there are _degrees_ of support, and Python very
obviously favors classic arithmetic.  That can't change.  I personally
have no interest in providing more support for timeline arithmetic
_beyond_ getting PEP 495 implemented so that error-free timeline
arithmetic _can_ be implemented easily.  At that point, my interest
ends.  I believe I've already been very clear that it's fine by me if
the only further support Python supplies is to add some one-line
Python functions to the docs implementing the 3 flavors of timeline
arithmetic (datetime-datetime and datetime +/- timedelta) - but near
the end of a new section explaining that working with UTC datetimes
instead is far better practice fur timeline arithmetic use cases.

> pytz is widely used. datetime objects with dateutil and pytz tzinfo
> behave differently as shown above.
>
> There are no non-fixed tzinfos in stdlib. dst-tzinfo in stdlib could
> adopt either pytz or dateutil behavior.

I don't know whether Stuart mucked with arithmetic because he believed
that was necessary in order to get conversions to work correctly (if
so, he was mistaken), or whether the effects on arithmetic were just a
_consequence_ of using fixed-offset classes all the time (that's "a
natural" outcome of using only fixed-offset classes - it would take
extra effort to _stop_ it - classic and timeline arithmetic are the
same thing in any eternally-fixed-offset timezone) .  He said, in an
earlier message, that conversion was his primary concern.  But maybe
we're all using the same words with different meanings.

In any case, conversions are my - and PEP 495's - only real concern.
Because timeline arithmetic is inappropriate for datetime's "naive
time" model, is incompatible with what Python has been doing for a
dozen years already, is far slower than classic arithmetic, and
because people who need timeline arithmetic "shouldn't be" using
non-UTC aware-datetimes at all for arithmetic, I don't see any chance
of pytz's behaviors being adopted in all respects by Python.

Nor dateutil's.  That one can't always do conversions correctly today.

After PEP 495 is implemented, whoever steps up to supply a wrapping of
the Olson database with 495-compliant tzinfos will probably get
rubber-stamp approval to fold it into the core.  I'd also like to see
dateutil's wrappings of timezones obtained from VTIMEZONE files,
POSIX-TZ strings, and the Microsoft registry folded in.  Not all apps
_can_ use zoneinfo.  zoneinfo is by far the most important, though.  I
prioritize.  That's something mailing lists are incapable of, which is
why no mailing list has ever released any software ;-)

> If dateutil can be fixed to work correctly using the disambiguation flag
> then its behavior is preferable because it eliminates localize,
> normalize calls

Then you get classic arithmetic.  Which is not only fine by me, I
believe it's the only realistic outcome for the reasons explained just
above.

> except localize() could be useful in __new__ if first
> parameter is None to raise an exception for invalid input otherwise it
> is equivalent to the default *first* value.

That one is for the "PEP-495 - Strict Invalid Time Checking" thread.

>> My hope was that 495 alone would at least spare pytz's users from
>> needing to do a `.normalize()` dance after `.astimezone()` anymore.
>> Although I'm not clear on why it's needed even now.

> As far as I know, normalize() is not necessary after astimezone() even
> now
> https://answers.launchpad.net/pytz/+question/249229

That agrees with my best guess, but my knowledge of pytz is shallow.
If it's correct that the .normalize() dance isn't needed here, it
would be nice if Stuart plainly said so on that page, and - of course
- changed the docs to stop saying it _is_ required.  And then it's
also the case that I don't see any benefit to pytz from PEP 495 alone.
:-(

>>> For pytz users, being able to write a function do tell if the data you
>>> were given is broken is a step backwards. When constructing a datetime
>>> instance with pytz, users have the choice of raising exceptions or
>>> having pytz normalize the input. They are never given broken data (by
>>> their definition), and there is no need to weed it out.

>> Assuming they follow all "the rules", yes?  For example, if they
>> forget to use .localize(), etc, it seems like anything could happen.
>> What if they use .replace()?:  .combine()?  Unpickle a datetime
>> representing a missing time?  Etc.  I don't see that pytz has anything
>> magical to check datetimes created by those.

> If people forget localize() then tzinfo is not attached and an exception
> is raised later. It is like mixing bytes and Unicode: if you forget
> decode() then an exception is raised later.

AFAICT, pytz can't enforce anything.  You don't _need_ to call
localize() to get _a_ datetime.  From scanning message boards, e.g., I
see it's a common mistake for new pytz users to use
datetime.datetime(..., tzinfo=...;) directly, not using localize() at
all, despite the very clear instructions in the docs that they must
_not_ do that.  That can be a real problem for modules fighting basic
design warts:  newcomers are lost at first, and even experts can have
trouble inter-operating with code _outside_ what typically becomes an
increasingly self-contained world (e.g., Isaac cheerfully complained
earlier about his pains trying to get pytz and dateutil to work
together).

> replace() is just a shortcut for a constructor.

Yet pytz does nothing to check .replace() results, right?

> combine() returns naive objects.

Not always true.  Plain `time` objects can have a tzinfo of their own.
Pass one of those to .combine(), and you get an aware datetime.  And
it's generally impossible to check a `time` on its own for fold/gap -
you generally need a date too to have any chance of determining that.

Anyway, that - and the rest below - belong in the "PEP-495 - Strict
Invalid Time Checking" thread.  I'm outta here ;-)