[Datetime-SIG] PEP-431/495

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 19:04:09 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
wrote:

> I have billions of rows of data in my databases. If I'm dealing with
> input from computer systems, such as my databases, I will have
> billions of conversions to do and the overhead of calculating the fold
> flag is billions of times worse than calculating the isdst flag from
> the non-bulk human input.

Do you realize that a typical portable implementation of mktime calls
localtime up to four times to get tm_isdst? And to get it completely
"right", needs up to six calls? [1] I am sure I can do no worse than that
computing the fold value.

[1]:  "BUG in mktime"
https://www.sourceware.org/ml/libc-hacker/1998-10/msg00027.html