[Datetime-SIG] PEP 495: Conversion from naive to aware

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Aug 29 20:57:37 CEST 2015

OK, I've pondered this some more, and in the end I think it is a reasonable
proposal.

Note that there are many subtleties in various other methods already; e.g.
the distinction between timetuple() and utctimetuple(), or between
fromtimestamp() and utcfromtimestamp(), is not as straightforward as their
names might suggest. So I think it's better not to add more utc*()
functions.

If I had to do the design over I might have made a deeper distinction
between aware and naive datetimes (e.g. aware being a subclass of naive)
but such a redesign is not on the table.

Another (mostly unrelated) observation about datetime: even an aware
datetime does not really represent an instant in time, unless its timezone
has a fixed offset. For example, suppose I create a datetime representing
noon, June 3rd, US/Eastern time in 2020. My best guess is that this will
correspond to the instant 16:00 in UTC on that date. But I can't really
tell. Maybe by then the campaign against DST has finally succeeded, and
noon on that date in US/Eastern is actually 17:00 UTC. But if I store this
date in a database and read it back in the year 2020, I want it to be read
back as noon US/Eastern (June 3rd 2020), not as "whatever time in
US/Eastern corresponding to 16:00 UTC on that date". Now you may wonder why
I prefer it this way, and I'll just let you guess -- but I need this for my
use case. If your use case needs to record the instant, you should use UTC
or some other fixed offset zone. (And yes, I fundamentally consider pytz's
behavior here a bug, and datetime's behavior a feature.)

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)