[Datetime-SIG] Another round on error-checking

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 22:13:10 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> But passing fold=1 in a
> non-fold/gap case is almost certainly a flat-out programmer error,
> _except_ that PEP 495 requires never ever complaining about it, and to
> the contrary _requires_ it to be done if the user wants to find out
> whether their datetime is any way odd.

A programmer who knows about fold does not need as much hand-holding as the
one who does not.  My customer is the ignorant programmer.

> C'mon, admit it - _part_ of it makes you cringe too, if even just a little
> ;-)

What makes me cringe is the problem domain where I am required to implement
an inverse to a non-monotonic function.  And that's on top of the world
where clock hands can move backwards.