[Datetime-SIG] Clearing up terminology

Felipe Ochoa felipe.nospam.ochoa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 19:06:51 CEST 2015

I like the terms Period arithmetic and duration arithmetic. In those terms,
what we currently have is the following:

* "local/naive" datetime (no tzinfo) + timedelta is period arithmetic,
where timedelta is a restricted form of period that supports only days,
hours, minutes, seconds, and milliseconds. (Which is equivalent to
mixed-radix seconds, as Tim has pointed out)

* "aware" datetime (with tzinfo) + timedelta is sort of like period
arithmetic, though Noda doesn't define this operation. It is equivalent to:
1) remove the tzinfo to get a local/naive dt 2) perform period arithmetic
3) attach the tzinfo again to get an aware dt. I'm fine extending the Noda
definition of "period arithmetic" to cover this case

I think Guido and others have suggested we add Duration and Period objects
which will implement datetime arithmetic just like in Noda. The only
difference in our model would be that instead of LocalDateTime vs
ZonedDateTime, we have just datetime, with and without tzinfo. I am very
much +1 for this idea, and will write up a Duration object in the next
couple of days

-Felipe