[Datetime-SIG] Timeline arithmetic?

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Fri Sep 4 20:19:47 CEST 2015

On 09/04/2015 12:11 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> Keep in mind that the standard library should not only support "casual
> users", but also those who will write a "period
> recurrence library" for those "casual users."  This is where classic
> arithmetic is indispensable.

Oh, I'm well aware. But naive arithmetic is always available - on naive
datetimes.

Btw, I have a minor objection to the term "classic arithmetic." It's a
made-up term from this mailing list, and I don't think it describes a
real distinct thing, it's just a euphemism for "naive arithmetic."

I'm not sure why the euphemism arose; I _think_ it arose because it
sounds wrong to say that aware datetimes perform naive arithmetic. I
think that sounds wrong to roughly the same extent that it is wrong, so
I don't see any point in using a made-up euphemism to hide it :-)

Carl