[Datetime-SIG] Timeline arithmetic?

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Mon Sep 7 19:28:02 CEST 2015

On 09/07/2015 11:06 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> FYI, I am still completely overwhelmed by this discussion. I will wait
> until Tim and Alexander tell me there's a PEP to review and then I'll
> read that. Carl: if you feel your position is not represented in that
> PEP (even under "rejected alternatives") I recommend that you write your
> own PEP. But I really hope that you all will come to an agreement
> without competing PEPs!

Sure. At the moment I think PEP 495 is headed in a direction I support,
relative to the other options available. So I don't have any plans for a
competing PEP.

My latest couple messages in this thread are more about figuring out the
right framing for a documentation addition that might help people (like
me) coming from a pytz-style model understand datetime's model (and
specifically understand how "classic arithmetic" is not a bug). I think
I finally understand it now, so I'd like to put that understanding to
good use.

Carl