[Datetime-SIG] PEP 495: What's left to resolve

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 08:10:20 CEST 2015

[Guido]
> No, the question I care about is more like "could politicians change the utc
> offset", not whether they have done so in the past. So instances of
> datetime.timezone qualify, as do (I believe) lettered "military" zone names.

Ah, got it now.  No, that's impossible to determine from a tzfile.

Yes, the 25 {"A", "B", ... ,"Z"} - {"J"} military zones do (one for
each hour offset in -12 through +12 inclusive).  The military "J" zone
does not (that's whatever local civil zone is implied by context -
good luck programming that one ;-) ).

In any case, the message before still applies:   interzone subtraction
and comparison for such zones would continue to work fine after 495,
because their .fromutc() would never set `fold` to 1.