[Datetime-SIG] Are there any "correct" implementations of tzinfo?

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 22:39:14 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> > faster
> > than CPython can look up the .utcoffset method. (At least for times
> > within a few years around now.) A programmer who makes it slower should
> > be fired.
>
> So any programmer who implements .utcoffset() in Python should be
> fired?  That's the only way I can read that.

No, no!  I've already conceded that caching UTC offset will probably help
pure Python implementations.  PyPy folks have established this fact for
hash and I am willing to extrapolate their results to UTC offset.  I am
only trying to say that if we decide to bring a fast TZ database to
CPython, pure python tzinfo interface will likely become our main
bottleneck, not the speed with which C code can compute the offset value.