[Datetime-SIG] Computing .dst() as a timedelta

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 02:30:52 CEST 2015

[Alex]
> Tim, are you referring to the "Troll" rule? [1]  That's a strange beast
> indeed and a comment above it says:
>
> # The CET-switching Troll rules require zic from tzcode 2014b or later, so
> as
> # suggested by Bengt-Inge Larsson comment them out for now, and approximate
> # with only UTC and CEST. Uncomment them when 2014b is more prevalent.

Yes, and this was pointed out some time ago.  These really are the
rules they use:

    http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/antarctica/troll

> On the other hand, I don't see any challenges to PEP 495 there other than
> finding means to extract the relevant information.

The only problem is figuring out how to handle .dst() - which is a
problem regardless of whether 495 is implemented.  I remain unclear as
to why it broke zic.c, though!

> Maybe I should hand-code this rule as demo/test case.

This is soooo sad - you're clearly becoming a timezone wonk ;-)