[Datetime-SIG] Adding PEP 495 support to dateutil

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 06:55:16 CEST 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> I happen to still believe that a "hybrid" tzinfo is the best approach,
> but appreciate that pytz solved a world of problems with its approach
> (while creating others).  I really can't tell if a consensus has been
> reached among the relative handful of datetime-SIG participants.
> Which means there is no consensus.

If "consensus" means "absence of sustained opposition" [1], it looks like
we either weared out or intimidated the "opposition" enough for it not to
be "sustained" anymore. :-)

Luckily, PEP 495 solves at least one problem that has nothing to do with a
choice of tzinfo:  it makes the result of datetime.now() unambiguous.
Also, the PEP does not take a position on what approach is better - it just
makes both equally feasible.

[1] https://lehors.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/what-consensus-means/