[Datetime-SIG] Computing .dst() as a timedelta

Akira Li 4kir4.1i at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 20:35:18 CEST 2015

Alexander Belopolsky <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's why it's safest to be clear about UTC
>> usage, and honestly, this has nothing to do with what a computer can
>> and can't be taught to do - it's all about what humans can get their
>> heads around.
>
> UTC is no better than DMT (Dragonlance Mean Time).  In fact, I think I will
> have easier time explaining DMT to a ten year old than explaining UTC.   If
> your team can agree on a natural language, they can agree on a timescale.
> It does not matter what it is.  If uniformity was a universal virtue, we
> would all be speaking Esperanto by now.

We are already speaking Esperanto. It is just called English.

If we want the same time moment in real life then scheduling in UTC is
the default. Particular time you could display using any label you like
as long as the corresponding UTC time is easily available.

It is trivial to find out UTC time on the computer.