[Datetime-SIG] Computing .dst() as a timedelta

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 02:12:10 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> But UTC already exists, and
> that gives it an inherent advantage. I've never tried to explain DMT
> to anyone, but explaining a simplified form of GMT/UTC (ignore leap
> seconds, ignore relativity, ignore UT0/UT1 etc) is pretty easy - it's
> just a well-known time zone that has no DST.

It is not as well-known as you might think.  I, for one, don't even know
how to translate it in my native Russian.  I bet people in Russia who know
what Moscow time is outnumber those who know what UTC is at least 100 to
1.  I bet you will get a similar ratio in California between UTC and say
Eastern Standard Time.

No TV station in Russia or in the US will ever announce its schedule in
UTC.  They will use Moscow time in Russia and EST in the US.  Occasionally,
national TV networks in the US will announce the show time in two or three
major time zones, but never in UTC.   In Russia, time zones are identified
as Moscow+HH much more often than UTC+HH.  The only place you will see
clocks showing UTC time in Russia is the space command center.

GMT is popular in Western Europe because of geographical proximity and the
ubiquitous BBC broadcasts, but it is not as well-known elsewhere.

Let's have a show of hands here: how many people know what "C" stands for
in UTC and what "M" stands in GMT and what is the significance of these
letters?