[Datetime-SIG] IANA TZ database statistics

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 19:38:17 CEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just one suggestion:  force the year/timestamp into a 400-year span
> starting at 1971 first (via adding/subtracting multiples of 400
> years).  Then not even Windows will blow up ;-)

This will work for the future dates (and I think I should use 2100 through
2399 range to avoid extending not-regular rules into the far future).  For
the far in the past dates, I still think the earliest transition to
standard time should be used as the "big bang" transition.   Note that the
400 year hack does not work for systems with 32-bit time_t.  I think it is
ok to just raise OverflowError on those whenever a timezone operation is
requested on a date outside of EPOCH ± 2**31 range.  That's about 140 years.