[Datetime-SIG] IANA TZ database statistics

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 20:29:58 CEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> > For the far in the past dates, I still think the earliest transition to
> standard
> > time should be used as the "big bang" transition.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what that means - I'm just trying to worm around
> that time_t values less than 0 aren't supported on all systems.

I should have said "earliest *discoverable* transition."   For systems with
non-negative time_t, that would be somewhere in 1970s.  The key decision
here is that regular DST transitions are extended into the future but not
into the past.  For the far past utcoffset will be fixed at the earliest
standard time offset that can be fished out from localtime/mktime calls.

Does Python support any systems with 32-bit time_t?