[Datetime-SIG] IANA TZ database statistics

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 03:11:08 CEST 2015

[Akira Li <4kir4.1i at gmail.com>]
>> tzlocal module by Lennart Regebro might be good enough in practice
>>   https://github.com/regebro/tzlocal

[Alex]
> How well has it been tested on say FreeBSD or Solaris?

I'm not sure it's relevant to what you're trying to do now.  Lennart's
tzlocal is intended to work with pytz, and its unix.py just searches
all over creation for "the local" IANA tzfile to pass to pytz.

My guess is that unless/until Python ships IANA files itself, we're
best off sticking to standard C functions.  Those have _some_ scant
chance of working everywhere ;-)