[Datetime-SIG] Zoneinfo parser in Python 3.8

Paul G paul at ganssle.io
Fri Jan 19 14:56:18 EST 2018

Yeah, I'm aware of this, but I think the reality on the ground is that everyone everywhere deploys compiled zic files and will for the foreseeable future, it is the standard currency of time zone information, and we'll probably want to be able to at least fall back to this.

I think we'd be better off lobbying for the addition of `SAVE` information into `zic` outputs than we would going out of our way to support other formats, but I think that at the very least we should be able to handle the compiled zic format so that it will be easy for people to access their system time zones. Currently the heuristic methods of determining DST offset are sufficient to cover all known cases - though obviously this is potentially fragile.

Still, I think that users would *much* prefer a zoneinfo parser that is guaranteed to get the offset right 100% of the time and occasionally will incorrectly identify whether or not a zone is DST in the rare but possible event that a zone makes an STD->DST transition immediately followed by a DST->STD transition without any change in overall offset.

Since the compiled zic format has a magic identifier at the beginning, it may be a fairly simple matter to have the parser support more than one type of zone information as inputs. One property that is also compiled from the IANA sources is the iCalendar format (this can be compiled with vzic https://github.com/libical/vzic for example). We could simply detect what kind of file it is and parse accordingly. That said, the implementation of a properly compliant iCalendar timezone parser is orders of magnitude more complicated than a simple zoneinfo parser.

I don't love the idea of developing some homegrown Python format just to preserve the SAVE information. That will create a pretty significant indefinitely ongoing support burden compared to a zoneinfo parser that works with files already deployed by the OS.

Best,
Paul