[PYTHON DB-SIG] Module for Ingres databases.

Greg Stein greg_stein@eshop.com
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 17:41:20 -0800

At 1:01 PM 2/10/96, Andrew Eskilsson wrote:
>I have created a c++ 'framework' (woah nice buzzword :-) for
>communicating with an Ingres database. I am now thinking of making it
>accessible from python, and would need some feedback.
>
>What I have done is to read the code generated by esqlc (embedded sql
>for c) and determine what calls were made to the library, I then
>embedded these commands in c++ and off I went.
>
>Is this something you might need, and would you preferr some special
>way for this to be used in python?
>
>Feedback is welcome!

Have you seen the recent generic interface proposal for database access?
The APIs in that interface will be used for Oracle, Informix, mSQL, and
Postgres modules, at a minimum. This suggested interface was posted to the
db-sig mailing list several weeks ago; you can find it in the message
archive or I can send it to you if needed.

I would recommend that you see if Ingres has a call-level interface rather
than ESQL/C. It is usually much easier to deal with and will be more
straightforward. For Oracle, we are using OCI and for Informix, we are
using CLI. I'm not sure whether mSQL and Postgres have names for their
interfaces :-).

Greg Stein, eShop Inc.
greg_stein@eshop.com