[PYTHON DB-SIG] Update...

Greg Stein greg_stein@eshop.com
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 13:42:57 -0800

We have a working Informix module and an Oracle module using the new API.
Some aspects and optimizations aren't fully coded up, but the modules have
met our needs so far. We still have some work on specifying how input
binding will work, though, when dealing with TEXT/BYTE columns in Informix
or with LONG (RAW) columns in Oracle. Also, we had to use ESQL at this
point for the Informix module rather than CLI. Our CLI installation was
busted :-( At some point, we hope to update to a CLI version.

We have made one change to the API: exec() is not a valid method name
because of the keyword conflict :-). We've renamed it execute(). I also
have an addendum to the spec that clarifies its return value:

[ from our implementor, Michael Lorton... ]
> Previously the exact meaning of the return value of the execute()
> function was undefined.  I am hereby defining it as follows:
>
> If the statement is DDL (eg, CREATE TABLE), 1 is returned.
>
> If the statement is DML (eg, UPDATE or INSERT), the number of rows
> affected is returned.
>
> If the statement is DQL (ie SElECT), None is returned -- indicating
> that the statement is not really complete until you do the fetch().

I'll send mail again when more interesting stuff comes up...

Greg Stein, eShop Inc.
greg_stein@eshop.com

send messages to: db-sig@python.org