[PYTHON DB-SIG] Strawman API

Skip Montanaro skip@calendar.com (Skip Montanaro)
Sat, 13 Jan 1996 07:32:55 -0500

Greg Stein writes:

   Some questions I pose are:
   - do we need a close() method or can we just assume the user can clear out
   all references?

One of the problems I run into using simpler modules like bsddb is that of
shared access.  I could care less if I have to close() the object, but how
long can I leave it open?  Obviously, the more I have to open() and close()
it, the more performance is reduced.  I'm not sure if this is a factor for
true database modules, since they presumably implement locking to support
concurrent read/write operations.

Skip Montanaro     |  Looking for a place to promote your music venue, new CD
skip@calendar.com  |  or next concert tour?  Place a focused banner ad in
(518)372-5583      |  Musi-Cal!  http://www.calendar.com/concerts/

send messages to: db-sig@python.org