[PYTHON DB-SIG] [comp.lang.python] Date-Time requirements (esp. for databases)

Harri Pasanen pa@tekla.fi
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 23:09:34 +0200

Jim Fulton writes:
> Andy Eskilsson wrote:
> >
> > / Jim Fulton <jim@digicool.com> wrote:
> > |
> > |  1. Support conversion from strings in a very wide variety of formats
> > |     (e.g. 'Oct, 1, 1994 12:34am EST', '1994/10/1 00:34:21.456')
> >
> > Thats what I have created my strptime function to do, you can find it
> > at: http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/hacks/, the inverse of strftime.
>
> This looks good, but I want something that doesn't require a format
> string.

What are you thinking of?  How do you plan to achieve genericity
without some kind of template, or format string?

Or are you planning to hide the possible format strings/templates
inside the a Date object factory, which returns a Date object when
receiving the string representation?

Just curious,

Harri

send messages to: db-sig@python.org