[PYTHON DB-SIG] [comp.lang.python] Date-Time requirements (esp. for databases)

Petri Raitio per@tekla.fi
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:15:10 +0200

"Thomas" =3D=3D Thomas Breuel <tmb@best.com> writes:

Thomas> Of course, the least ambiguous way of writing dates is using
Thomas> three letter abbreviations for the month and four digit years
Thomas> (10 Jan 1996).  I believe that, at least for the most common
Thomas> languages using Roman script, the months are unambiguous even
Thomas> if you don't know the language that the date was written in.

This will not help everyone; tomorrow it is '1 Mar 1996' in Finland,
for example.  Also, the convention of using an abbreviated month name
is not in use in several (if not most) European countries.

Now I know most users of this new date module will speak English, but
it would be great to have the module work with all kinds of languages
with just minor subclassing, so I think I'll keep bothering you all
with my requirements ;)

</per>

send messages to: db-sig@python.org