[DB-SIG] ANN: mxODBC Version 0.3

Greg Stein (Exchange) gstein@exchange.microsoft.com
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 07:50:25 -0800

[forgive my stupid mail editor here...]

Jim Fulton writes:
>	Bill Tutt writes:
>	> Specfically: noError, opError, progError, integrityError,
>	> dataError, and internalError
>	>
>	> Where they apply to the following cases:

>	This should be part of the DBI spec. It currently isn't.

>	> Autocommit: You default to off, when ODBC defaults to on.

>	These semantics are not documented in the DBI spec, but should
be.
>	All database interfaces should provide the same semantics wrt
>	autocommit.

>	> Ditching DBI:
>	> That was a particulary silly thing to do, the exceptions
listed
>	> above exist

>	But are not documented.

I never got the time to update the spec and gave up. I suggested closing
down the db-sig, but people pointed out that it still had more work to
do. Namely, completing an update of the spec. So far, that task hasn't
even appeared on the db-sig, let alone anybody stepping up to do it or
contributing to an update in any way.

So... the best thing people can do to reduce confusion is stop working
on code and spend some time on that spec. Another thing might be to
break dbi out of the various distributions into its own module available
from python.org.

-g

send messages to: db-sig@python.org