[DB-SIG] ODMG Date/time classes

M.-A. Lemburg lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 17:12:53 +0100

Christian Egli wrote:

>   Marc> BTW, is Christian going to upload his work to some URL out
>   Marc> there ? Would be nice if we could at least reference them.
>
> 1. I don't have an URL where I could put my stuff.

You could get one for $50 / year :-) Ask Christian Tismer.
But that left aside, everybody can upload code to
ftp.python.org/incoming.
There are instructions for uploading on the FTP server too. After
a few days someone (I guess Ken does this) will move the package to
one of the contrib directories.

> 2. I don't really like my code all that much. The class hierarchy bugs
>    me because I have to convert a GregorianDate into an AbsoluteDate
>    into an IsoDate just to find out the weekInYear. What I really want
>    is for the GregorianDate object to change its interface and become
>    an IsoDate. How could I achieve that? Is aggregation maybe the key?

You could code that up directly (as I see it you only use this
in one place)  instead of creating two intermediate dates.

> 3. Least but not last we haven't decided on a decent name. I first
>    used the same name as Edward M. Reingold, namely
>    CalendricalCalculations.py but this seems too long and awkward.

Why not just Calendars.py ? I think writing 'from Calendars import
GregorianDate' is straight forward enough.

send messages to: db-sig@python.org