[PYTHON DB-SIG] Python vs Perl DB API

Orjan Reinholdsen orjan@spinne.ip.lu
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:47:15 +0000

Hello!

Lately, I'v left Perl behind and I'm now using Python (and
'oracledb') to interface our Oracle DB. Generally this works great
and I really adore the Python syntax compared to Perl, but now I'v
run into some questions regarding speed:

I'v timed the execution of a Perl script and a Python script
doing the same thing, with the result that the Perl script is
roughly 3 times faster that the Python script. I should note that the
DB operations in the scripts involves a select and the formating
of roughly 2500 lines of text output (mainly using 'print').

So the question arise: Why is the Python script significantly slower
than the Perl script? Is it because of the  "speed" of 'oracledb'
and/or the Python DB API, or is it because Python is generically
slower that Perl? Any suggestions for speed improvement??

Happy for ANY answer.

Regards,
Orjan Reinholdsen
 Orjan Reinholdsen                                      Infopartners SA
 Voice: +352 29 57 59 33 02                             Fax: +352 29 57 59 39 00
 e-mail: orjan@ip.lu