[PYTHON DB-SIG] DB-Modules returning lists of dicts

David Walton david@alphagene.com
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:04:49 -0500

I just want to thank everyone who responded to my question about
having database modules return lists of dictionaries in addition
to lists of tuples.  I've value all points of view.

I'm very interested in Jim Fulton's ideas regarding a database
tuple type, or a more robust database object.  I definitely think
we will pursue something like this here.

The points that came through most clearly though, were Greg Stein's:
(for me anyway)

> The essence to most Python C extensions is "provide a match to the
> underlying C library and leave additional semantics to higher levels."

and

> Returning a tuple is the most appropriate form for what databases
> actually return. Responsibility for applying high-level semantics is
> passed on up to the high-level code :-)

I also would like to apologize for my query in my follow-up
message which asked if silence meant disinterest.  Obviously
it does not.  We're all busy people, and I very much appreciate
you all taking the time to respond.

Dave
--
Dave Walton